Saturday, December 1, 2007

Children's Miracle Network

Hello dear friends,


As many of you know, Miss America has partnered with the Children's Miracle Network and adopted the organization as Miss America's national platform. This incorporation of the Children's Miracle Network has raised some criticism among contestants. I have talked to many Miss North Dakota contestants and the common concern I have heard echoed among contestants is that we, as Miss North Dakota/ Miss America contestants, have chosen a personal platform that is very close to our hearts. We have spent countless hours developing the platform, volunteering and speaking on it. The concerns arise when these girls are asked to volunteer and promote an organization that, although a very wonderful organization, is not close to their hearts.


I understand these concerns and, to be honest, actually felt these concerns myself.


That is, until I was given the opportunity to visit the Children's Miracle Network Hospital in Fargo, ND. Not only was I given the opportunity to tour the hospital, but also, was able to meet, talk to, and sing to these wonderful, beautiful children. It really put my life into perspective.
Visiting these children and talking to these parents really impressed me upon what is really important in life. I met parents who were so strong and optimistic even in the most trying situations.
This young girl was especially charming. I got to sing to her. She was a joy.
This humbled me. God has given me all I could ask for and more. Coming face to face with these amazing kids, some of them fighting for their lives, really put my life into perspective.
This opportunity really endeared the Children's Miracle Network to my heart. Because of that, I am working with WalMart and MeritCare to put on a carnival-type benefit for the Children's Miracle Network. Stay tuned and we'll keep you up to date on the event.

No comments: